September 29, 2016

From the "What Was I Thinking?" File


Don't start plumbing projects after 8:00 pm. It doesn't end well. Just leave it until tomorrow. Unless there is water spraying everywhere.

Our kitchen sink has been problematic lately. I thought I fixed the drain a couple of weeks ago when I pulled the measuring spoon out of the drain. But it's been plugging up again and I'm out of drain cleaner. I needed to finish some dishes tonight, so I ran down to the basement to grab my snake. I thought, "this should be quick and easy."  Wrong. The snake got caught and I couldn't pull it back out. Only option was to take the trap apart to figure out the problem.

The technical aspect of this was pretty easy. Unfortunately my bucket wasn't big enough to catch all the water/sludge that came out when I took the trap off. Do you know how bad rotting food smells after it's been fermenting in the plumbing for who knows how long?

So I cleaned up the mess, got the trap cleared out, and freed the snake. Done right? Nope. Put everything back together and ran the water to check for leaks. And there it was…water filling the sink again. In a moment of brilliance I thought I'd try the snake again. It's currently lodged in the drain and I'm in bed. I'll try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment