August 14, 2012

DIY Laundry Soap

In an effort to save money (we have big dreams over here in the Kendi Haus), we have started making our own cleaning supplies.  Since I have become obsessed with Pinterest, like every female in America, I've found a lot of good ideas on how to clean just about anything in your house with basically vinegar, baking soda and borax.  When I mentioned it to my mom, she responded with, "I make my own..."

Since my mom hates the Internet, I knew she wasn't on Pinterest.  I was shocked to find out that she had beat me to this without the use of technology.  Turns out, women have been cleaning like this for decades.  I'm just late to the game.

Here is my mom's recipe for laundry soap (which she has been using successfully on her clothes for months):

3 cups Arm & Hammer Super Washing Baking Soda
3 cups Borax
1 cup Fels-Naptha soap (one bar equals one cup)

Shred the entire bar of Fels-Naptha soap.  Mix with the baking soda and borax.  Add 1/4 cup per load of laundry.  Use 1/2 cup for a large load.


While this recipe works fine for her, I upped the ante by adding more stuff to my laundry soap (I like my clothes SUPER clean).  I found a recipe that a lot of people were using through Pinterest here.   It is similar to my mom's recipe but there is a whole lot more of it, and it has Oxy-Clean in it, which I like for extra clean.  :)

Total cost for DIY Laundry soap = $18.15 (+ $10 for the container)

A bulk container of Tide costs about that much and you get 60-80 loads out of it.  The DIY batch gets about triple that amount.  I don't intend on buying laundry soap until sometime next year...

Cheers!



**Update**
       We have been using this laundry soap for a couple weeks and it seems to work just fine.  We have done sheets and slept on them and clothes.  But the biggest test was Kevin's biking shorts and shirt.  They came out smelling clean and fresh!  We have a winner!

**Update** 
        It is 10/29/13 and Kevin used the last of this batch of laundry soap.  I'd say that's $20 well spent.  Over a year supply!

No comments:

Post a Comment