September 1, 2012

Geeks of the World Unite

This weekend is the annual DragonCon convention in downtown Atlanta. I thought it would be cool to check it out. And then I saw the ticket prices. A pass for the entire weekend is $120 and single day passes range from $30-$50. The parade, on the other hand, is free. So we got up this morning and made the drive downtown. We thought about taking MARTA but decided it would be cheaper to pay for parking downtown. That decision almost turned into a disaster when we got downtown and traffic was backed up onto the freeway. I ended up getting off at a different exit than I had planned which led us to a parking lot that didn't appear to have an attendant on duty. I never expected to find free parking downtown. Score! We only had to walk a couple of blocks to the end of the parade route. I figured there would be a few people lined up along the route and the parade would last maybe half an hour. Boy was I wrong. The sidewalks along the route were packed. And the parade was way longer than half an hour. We left after about an hour and it was still going strong. These people are hardcore and they didn't limit themselves to comic books, Star Trek, and Star Wars. There were groups dressed up from lots of video games I had never heard of, quite a few movies, and several TV shows. We were surprised to see Stan Lee, Dean Cain, and Lou Ferrigno riding in cars in the parade. Check out the pictures below.

The official start

Love this

Stan Lee

The Batmobile

Dean Cain

Lou Ferrigno

Tetris!

No comments:

Post a Comment