September 14, 2015

Holland, MI

Over Labor Day weekend, Kevin and I took a trip to Holland.  We had a few things to celebrate and I hadn't been to Holland since I was in high school.  We spent two nights there.  Two nights away from Gunnar.  That's the longest I had been away from him.  Not gonna lie, I almost had us driving back a day early because I missed him so much.  It didn't help that there were freaking babies everywhere that weekend.  

But, we didn't go home early.  It was really nice weather and I picked a great hotel for us.  I planned a trip using michigan.org.  I printed it and had the list of things to do with me so we could pick.  We ended up doing quite a few things on the list and still managed to relax.  We made the mistake of trying to go to Lake Michigan on Sunday.  You don't head to the lake on the last day of summer.  We ended up turning around out of the line of traffic and exploring around Lake Macatawa instead.  We saw some amazing houses that I didn't think would ever be in MI.  I even found a house listed for $10 million!

I definitely want to go back in the spring for the tulips.  There are a lot of things I want Gunnar to see.

Cheers!


Here's some things we did while in Holland:

Lunch at Boatwerks on the water.  It's located next to Kollen Park which has great views of Lake Macatawa and a boardwalk.  Get the mac and cheese.

Antique shopping at The New Wooden Shoe Antique Mall.  We went back three times because we found so many good deals.  Really nice antiques, reasonably priced.

We walked Downtown Holland too.  We ate at The 8th Street Grille.  Try their soup bar!  And found the cutest gifts at The Apothecary Gift Shop (they have Pandora!) and Karlas Place (they sell stamps for their postcards!).  We also looked around The Holland Clock Company and saw the most amazing cuckoo clocks and Christmas windmills.

We learned all about Dutch culture at the Windmill Island Gardens.  And Kevin kicked my butt at miniature golf at Sundae Sundae Miniature Golf & Ice Cream.

It was a great trip with our home base being the Hampton Inn.  We were flanked by Holiday Inn and Best Western which also looked decent.  There was kind of an outside mall on the other side of the intersection and you could walk to Aldi, some restaurants and a Salvation Army.  Come to think of it, you could walk to that mall too...
















No comments:

Post a Comment