November 26, 2013

Thrifty Tip #11 - Dryer Sheets

There are lots of ideas out there for DIY dryer sheets or things that can take the place of dryer sheets.  One thing I saw on pinterest was to soak a washcloth in fabric softener and put that in the dryer.  Another pin said to use a ball of aluminum foil.  We get our dryer sheets from the dollar store and they work fine.  I make my own fabric softener but I've heard that you shouldn't use fabric softener on towels because it makes them lose their absorbancy.  And I've also heard that dryer sheets and fabric softener cause built up on the lint trap that can lead to fires.

Then my mom told me a trick she had been using and liked.  Tennis balls.  She throws 2 tennis balls into the dryer with her clothes and that's it.  She loves it.  So, while I was at Tar-jay this weekend, I grabbed a container of tennis balls for $2.  Then I went home and did the laundry.  I put all three balls in the dryer with a load of clothes.  I'm not sure, but I think it helped them dry faster.  And the towels were definitley fluffy.  I think I will keep this trick.  the balls make a lot of noise bouncing around in the dryer, so if your dryer is close to where you sleep or watch TV, know that you'll hear them.  I can use the tennis balls for a while, so I guess that's money in our pocket too.  But I don't think I'm ready to give up my DIY fabric softener just yet...

Cheers!

 
 
That's my down comforter in there.  Should be nice and fluffy when it comes out!




2 comments:

  1. Do the whites come out with yellow/green hairs on them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We didn't notice this, but I didn't inspect the whites. Definitely nothing blindingly obvious, but I will pay more attention next time and update!

      Delete