July 29, 2014

DIY: L&D Cooling Recovery Pads

Another goal I had this past weekend was to make some cooling pads for labor recovery.  I found these instructions on Pinterest and they seemed pretty easy.  The comments also said that they worked really well for some after labor relief.  I got all my supplies from Target and made a few in about 15 minutes.  I decided that the pads I got probably weren't thick enough for the purpose I was going to be using them for, so I only made 6 pads.  I plan on buying bigger ones and making some more before the baby gets here. 

I hope I get to use them, and that they work like I think they will.  You only wear them for about 10 minutes, but hey, every little bit helps, right?

Here are the steps.  Cheers!


L&D Cooling Recovery Pads


Step 1:  Gather your supplies


-large, long pads
-witch hazel
-aloe vera gel (no alcohol)
-foil

You can also add some essential oils like lavender if you want.  I didn't think it was that necessary.  Plus, they are expensive.

Step 2:  Aloe



 Add aloe vera gel to pad. (I'm using the bottles of nail polish to hold down the pad)



Using a spoon, spread the aloe evenly over the pad.


Step 3:  Witch Hazel


Using the same spoon you used for the aloe, pour a spoonful of witch hazel evenly over the pad.  What a minute so it will absorb and not run everywhere.


Step 4:  Wrap and Freeze


I added a small piece of foil under the tabs so they wouldn't get aloe on them.  (This is the part that sits against your pants when you're wearing the pad).



Then just wrap the pad up in foil and store in the freezer until ready to use.  I put a small piece of tape on the open part to keep it sealed. 

Easy peezy!

I'll make sure to update on how this goes.  Not sure I'll be able to use them if there is any tearing or if I'll need them if I have a C-section.



No comments:

Post a Comment