April 30, 2014

Foodtown

My friend Sally heard about this market in West Palm that was supposed to be like an Asian market.  She was really excited to get foods that she had growing up and I was really excited to try some new things.  Plus, I would be shopping with an expert.  :)

We went this past weekend and it was quite the experience.  They had everything.  From all over the world.  It reminded me of my beloved YDFM in Atlanta.  It wasn't the same, but it was close.  They meat and seafood section was like nothing I have ever seen before.  I think that's because I've never been to Asia.  They were selling every part of the pig and goat and I saw full cows hanging in the back.  They had tons of seafood and they even sold live turtles and frogs (I'm not sure how I feel about that...).  Sally went specifically for blue crabs but she said they didn't look very good.  She said they had dead ones in the mix so she passed on them.  They were right next to a bin of crawfish (or crawdads, as we say in my family) and we ended up talking to a women about them.  

The produce section was amazing.  Great prices and selection.  I ended up getting this week's worth of fruit and veggies for super cheap.  And I even spotted some items I had never seen before.  I ended up going home stocked with Asian sauces for cooking and all the things to make my own miso soup at home.  I'm very excited about it.

It was a fun day.  

Cheers!

I've never seen or heard of winter melon before.  They are huge.

Oh Jackfruit.  My old friend from Africa.  I've missed you.


Sally navigating me through all the Asian food.

No comments:

Post a Comment